I don’t know how many of you have pets, but I bet every one of you knows someone who does. There are several things that are often found around the house that are poisonous to cats and dogs and can cause severe problems, including death, if ingested. I want to share some of them with you, and I’m going to start with things that should not be allowed around a cat.
* * *
Lilies – Some varieties of lily are non-toxic, and will only cause irritation of the upper GI tract if ingested. The Peace and Calla lilies are in this category. It would probably be best for your cat if they did not have access to these plants, but it’s not likely that they would die from making a snack of one However, there are other lilies like the Casablanca, the Japanese Show, the Tiger lily, and the Easter lily that can cause kidney failure and death if evem a small amount is eaten. There are other lilies that fall into the “lethal” category, so before you add a lily to your décor, take a minute and check to see if it is a potential cat killer before you bring it home.
Azalea, Mistletoe, and Philodendron – are also poisonous to cats, and should probably be kept out of the house that you share with your fur baby.
Anti-depressants such as Cymbalta can result in cardiac and neurological damage. Cats seem to find these pills tasty, so be sure to keep the lid on tight.
NSAIDs – Keep Ibuprofen, aspirin, and other such medications away from your cat. If NSAIDs are prescribed by your vet, use them only as directed and for as short a time as possible. Never try to treat your cat with an NSAID meant for human use, as they can be life threatening to a cat.
Cold and Allergy medications – These often contain acetaminophen, which will cause liver failure in cats.
String, yarn, and rubber bands – these are often used as cat toys, but they are easily swallowed, which can result in intestinal blockage or strangulation.
Flea & Tick products for dogs – Never use a flea or tick product that is meant for dogs on your cat. They often contain ingredients that can kill a cat within hours, even if only a small amount is applied.
Antifreeze that contains Ethylene Glycol – This has a sweet taste, and animals are attracted to it. But even a small amount is deadly, and it takes only a teaspoon to kill a seven pound cat.
Household insecticides – These are often used on indoor plants. If you use them, make sure that the spray has had ample time to dry before letting your cat into the area where the plants are.
Glow sticks and glow jewelry – Many cats enjoying gnawing on glow sticks and jewelry, which contains dibutyl phthalate. If this leaks out, it will cause chemical burns to your cat’s mouth and tongue.
* * *
And here are some things that should be kept away from dogs.
Chocolate – This contains caffeine, and can cause tremors, increased heart rate, and possibly death. Baking chocolate and dark chocolate are at the top of the toxicity list, but a good sized amount of milk chocolate can also be dangerous.
Rodenticides – Mouse and rat poisons are designed to entice ingestion by rodents, but dogs also find them tasty. Ingesting it, or a rodent who has eaten it, can cause massive internal bleeding and death. If you think your dog might have been poisoned, induce vomiting and get him to the vet immediately.
NSAIDs – As with cats, anti-inflammatory drugs like Advil and Aleve are meant for humans and can cause GI ulcers and kidney failure in dogs. Only veterinarian-prescribed NSAIDS should be used.
Raw meat – Tossing chunks of steak or other uncooked meat to your dog can result in salmonella and other kinds of bacterial poisoning.
Plants – This is more of an issue with cats, but dogs have been known to chew on plants when they have an upset stomach. Plants to avoid are Narcissus, Oleander, and Rhododendrons. It’s wise to check the dog-toxicity status of any plant that you’re not sure of before placing it in reach of your dog.
Nuts, fruits, etc. – Even small amounts, grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. Macadamia nuts can cause GI upset and tremors, and Avocado can cause vomiting and diarrhea, Again, it’s best to spend a few minutes on Google if you’re unsure of how a food will effect your dog.
Insect bait stations – Nowadays, the toxicity level of the bait is not high enough to prove lethal to mammals. However, the bait tends to include an attractant such as peanut butter, which most dogs can’t resist. Because of this, a dog may swallow the bait container, which is a potential choking or gastric hazard.
Veterinary pharmaceuticals – These medications are often flavored to be more appealing, but a dog will often mistake them for treats. Be sure to keep them safely out of reach so that your puppy can’t get into them on his own.
Pennies – Pennies minted after1983 are composed primarily of zinc, which some dogs can’t resist. Signs that your dog has eaten pennies are gastrointestinal upset and anemia resulting from the destruction of red blood cells. Surgery is usually required to remove the pennies and stop the absorption of zinc. Like so many other things, it’s best to keep pennies and other change in a place tht your dog can’t get to.
Oxygen absorbers and silica gel packs – Oxygen absorbers are found in packages of pet treats and beef jerky, and Silica gel packs are the small white packs found in new shoes and purses. Both of these are easily eaten by a dog, and can cause poisoning.
* * *
I hope you found this topic to be of interest. I’m going to be posting more pet related things over the next week or so. Thank you for stopping by my blog, and I would appreciate it if you would leave a comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.